Sunday, January 8, 2012

Flowers

I first learned to paint flowers as an artist on staff for Hallmark Cards in Kansas City, Missouri.
And this skill became my bread and butter for many years as a freelance greeting card artist.  But I actually love the work and they are still my favorite subject to paint.






©Carmella Tuliszewski 2011
Each of the above paintings are watercolor measuring 15" x 30"

When I first interviewed with Hallmark, they offered me a position, which I declined.  I already had a job as staff illustrator with a publishing company in Philadelphia.  
About a year later they contacted me again with a job offer.  By this time, although I loved the people I worked with, the actual job was getting s little boring.  So I accepted.
The chance to paint full color paintings all day and see them published was really exciting.
I learned so much but after awhile missed the east coast and made the difficult decision to go home. When I returned to Philly, having been a Hallmark artist opened a lot of doors for my freelance business.  I am still appreciative to them for that.  

You know the old joke, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?  Practice, practice, practice."
All artists know this to be true.  You learn from each and every stroke of the pencil and brush and take each lesson learned to your next work.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...