Monday, February 9, 2015

Flower Girl

This reference is from my trip through the flower show last year.
The funny thing is I was so focused on capturing these georgous flowers that I did not notice the background figure until I began to study the photo for a possible painting.

I do remember the red aprons of the assistants scattered around the show.
They were there to help with directions or any questions guests may have.
Once I did see her I couldnt look away.
There she was surrounded by so much beauty and she could not have looked more uninterested.  
I realized that she wasn't actually there.
She was daydreaming.

"Daydreamer"
Watercolor, 18" x 30"
©Carmella Tuliszewski

Behind her is the unfocused effect of her being engulfed in blooms.
The foreground flowers are a riot of yellows, oranges and fuscias.
I am hoping the overall effect will be, just as it was when I first passed by this photo,
that the girl must be seen pass the command of the flowers, as part of the background wanting nothing more than to be left alone.

Figure painting is not my strong suit but, with practice, I am getting better at it.
For pale skin as seen here, I use a combination of 
Permanent Rose
Burnt Sienna
Naples Yellow
and just a touch of Cerulean Blue for shadow areas.

A soft touch is required during a wet into wet application.
After wetting an area, allow the shine to disperse from the paper before blending.
  I am very eager to paint these flowers!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the in-progress shots and the story. What a beautiful painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chris. I took a look at your blog and I just love your rice paper pieces!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...