Thursday, May 22, 2014

A First Portrait in Watercolor

I have always loved this picture of my daughter, Christine, at about age 4.
(She's 27 now)  She had spent the day with her Grandmother while my husband and I were out.
My Mother-in-Law made this crown of dandelions and she looked so adorable I ran for my camera.
I have this photo framed in my house.
I wish I had gotten a picture of the two of them together that day.

Once the drawing is ready it's time to the flesh out the color.
Here I've started with Permanent Rose, Burnt Sienna, Naples Yellow and a tiny spot 
of Cerulean Blue for shadow areas.

I can see that my shadows are too brown 
and the face coloring does not have enough life in it.

Added more color in the cheeks but still need to pick up a little of the shadow coloring.
Just starting the hair and hope to progress to a more subtle blending of the strands.

I have done portraits in the past using acrylic.
I have to say that it was much easier in acrylic.
But I will keep going until I teach myself how to do this.
I have plans for an illustrated border framing out the portrait.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.
First I need to get this right!

1 comment:

  1. She is adorable, I can see her satisfaction of a fun day spent with grandma. It's coming along beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...