Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Cymbidium Orchid

You only have to examine a veriegated leaf to see the beauty that can be found in the color green.
To find that beauty in the pedals of a flower is a little unexpected.
As Kermit says, "It's not easy being green."

My challenge in this birthstone series is to match a flower to the characteristics found in the gems associated with each month of the year.  Some are more difficult than others. 
It took me awhile to match the glow of the Peridot for the month of August.
But I found one I was very excited about in my photos from the Philadelphia Flower Show a couple of years ago.  

The Cymbidium Orchid glows with greens.  And in this 5th painting in the series my greens range from very bright yellow greens to the darkest olive greens.  Now I do have a nice assortment of green watercolor and I did use some right out of the tube.  But many of the colors you see here were produced by mixing my own variations on my pallette and by glazing one dry layer over another dry layer.  The best shadows are made  by mixing the complementary colors and here my shadows are a mixture of variuos greens with pinks and reds.


"Peridot", Watercolor, 8" x 10"
©Carmella Tuliszewski




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...