Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Stills, Flowers and Shows, oh my!

So far in this new year I have been very productive.

"Stitch in Time"
Watercolor, 18" x 28"
©Carmella Tuliszewski

I decided to take on another large still life.
This time making use of all my stashed away sewing items.
It took about three weeks from drawing to finish and I loved every minute of it.
I am currently planning another on this subject.
My objective here was to gain good practice in painting various textures to include glass (of course!)
but also metals, fabrics, paper and the weaved basket.
having everything sit on actual pattern tissue was a last minute call that I'm very pleased with.
This is a competition piece so I'll let you know how it goes :)

"Caladiums Alight"
Watercolor, 12" x 15"
©CarmellaTuliszewskiArt.com

After a large still I like to turn to florals for a bit to recharge.
This was taken from a trip to Longwood Gardens last Fall.
These beauties were at ground level of a stunning atrium.
They managed to capture a ray of sun, and my attention, 
 through the thick canopy above.

"Golden Trumpets"
Watercolor, 8" x 8"
©CarmellaTuliszewskiArt.com

And another painting from Longwood Gardens.
The backlighting on this was a little difficult for me.
So I plan to go in and fiddle with it some more.
But the light on this was just so spectacular that I had to try.
One of those helpful learning experiences.

"Lemomcello"
Watercolor, 18" x 24"
©CarmellaTuliszewskiArt.com

And I learned this month that I have been accepted into my second show of the year.
"Lemoncello" will exhibit in
The 2018 Georgia Watercolor Society National Exhibition
Saturday, March 17, 2018 - Sunday, April 29, 2018
Oglethorpe University Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia

This painting was in the 2016 Pennsylvania Watercolor Society International Exhibition 
and was awarded the M. Graham Award of Excellence.
It is coming to the end of it's show viability as exhibitions only allow a work to
be two to three years old to enter.
It will then go onto my website for sale.
If you are interested please contact me.
I'd love to see it find a good home:)

I have entered more competitions so far this year.
Here's hoping some of them make it through.
I do love all the opportunities 
watercolorists have to show their work through the various societies
and publications.  Of course, that multiplies the chances of being rejected.
But when you are accepted it's just that much more exciting.

I'll let you know how it goes!




4 comments:

  1. "Stitch in Time" is just an amazing piece, I already know it will win many well deserved awards, Carmella! Love your "Caladiums" and "Golden Trumpets" as well, there is not only texture in every piece but I really love the light you bring into your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you get your colorful glassware from?! Your work is amazing! I love Stitch in Time. I’m also attracted to glowing backlit petals and leaves so love your Golden Trumpets. Did you drop bleach or lemon juice to get the background on Trumpets? I’m headed to your Facebook page to see if you’ve posted what your studio looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coby, first i am so sorry to get back to you so late! I did not get an alert about your message and did not see it till just now while scrolling thru past posts.
      I find my glass bottles in thrift stores usually for a dollar or two each. I am now hunting for vintage perfume bottles that i plan to use in a painting one of these days.
      No bleach or lemon on that background. I paint leaving open white circles of the paper, then while the background is still wet, go back into it to soften the edges. a few more light glazes continue the effect. I have found that bleach eats into the paper that there is no coming back from so this way I remain in control.
      thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...