Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Christmas Card 2012

I wanted to do a design with this year's Christmas card that celebrated our trip to Italy.  
After Rome we stayed in the Chianti region of Tuscany.  These Chianti bottles were hanging around a doorway of a little shop where we had lunch.  It was a beautiful spring day with the locals passing by on their daily routines.  It still feels surreal that we were there at all but seeing these bottles reminds me of days like that not to mention all the wonderful food and wine we enjoyed.


"Salute!"
Watercolor, 14" x 20"
Carmella Tuliszewski © 2012

I don't know if you can tell but this painting is a little different for me.  
It brought me back to my greeting card design days in that it's executed more loosely and,
 for me, less detail.  And it's really meant to be an illustration and not a fine art piece.
The ribbon, star and most of the leaves are invented rather than working from a reference.
Actually, after the bottles were complete I never looked at the reference again and worked spontaeously.  I am resisting putting viens in all the leaves and trying to be more looose and let the value be the defining force.  

     
Memories of one of many days in Italy.
                                                                     Buon Natale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...