Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Adirondack Chair Exhibit

When I picked up my chair in February the only back support was the seven thin rails you see on the ground, spaced far apart.  Not much of a canvas to work on.  So I took the chair apart and rebuilt it.

Now, I've done a lot of projects around the house over the years, painting, sewing and woodworking.  My husband likes to say that in our family I'm the one with the tool belt!  I purchased a few larger planks and reconstructed the back with some real space to work with.  Next came drawing the design and using a scroll saw to carve our some of the shapes.



Here is the finished product.



When I think of gardens from art history, I think of the Impressionists.  So I painted with acrylic in an Impressionist style.  The butterfly is a copper attachment done in repousse', meaning the drawing is inscribed into the metal with a wooden stylist for a relief effect. 

I deliver the chair tomorrow morning and sometime in May all the chairs will be displayed around Chestnut Hill, PA and the Morris Arboretum in Philadelphia.  There will be a judging for prizes and the chairs will be titled and for sale.

3 comments:

  1. It looks fab! I love it. You'll need to show me how to work your scroll saw. This is truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the scroll saw is not a scary tool. And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...