Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Walks of Life

Why would I, a painter of shimmery, reflective color, choose to paint tattered, 
moss and mold covered shoes? 
Because once I saw this scene I could think of nothing else.
I came across this in a New Jersey suburban neighborhood on a hot sun bathed day.
I absolutely loved that it was an account of the growth and diversity of one family over many years.

"Walks of Life"
Watercolor, 21" x 23"
©Carmella Tuliszewski

The light is so important here.  
From the way it shines thru the flag to how it blazes deep shadows in and around each object.
The neutrality of the shoes and telephone pole are set off and made more important by the jewel tones of the greens and rainbow flag all around them.

I have not painted anything like this before. It has a story.
And while painting it I wondered about the life shared before 
with their owners, running, working, playing, growing.

It may not be the best thing I've ever done but it is one of my favorites.


2 comments:

  1. Carmella, you outdo yourself every time!! A beautiful story, I have never seen anything like it either. I love the gorgeous light,I love the old shoes that tell a story and the colorful flag really makes the perfect backdrop to lead your eye into the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Celia. It is good for the spirit to try something extra challenging every now and then.
    At the very least I learned a good recipe for moss and mold- any combination of greens and violets does the job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...